After the research. . .


After writing my research paper on beauty standards set by media and their influence on women, I took in a breath of relief. It is finally over. The unrealistic standards of beauty in media are now obsolete just because I wrote a paper on it. Okay, that may not necessarily be the case, but at least I have become more educated on the way media can influence my own personal opinion and experiences.

Overall, I think just being willing to go with the flow on my research topic really helped me not to stress too much. At first, I wanted to write on under representation of Asians in American films. However, it is so under represented that I could not afford the time spent looking for research articles related to that topic, so I went with the culture of beauty instead.

I would definitely organize my time and paper a lot better. My paper lacked an outline and preparation, so I found myself jumping from topic to topic just to get the page count. I would have much rather had a succinct outline guiding my writing process instead. That would have saved me on time and stress. Oh well, lesson learned.

It was really interesting to see how many people have already noticed this issue in society and are writing papers and doing research to better our world. Now that I am going into advertising, I have the power to influence the type of media tools I use to influence people. Beauty is not all that matters.

The next assignment I have that involves writing will come soon enough. What I need to do is to not procrastinate day of my repentance, I mean writing. Composition takes time if you want it to be good. Which is why being more organized will help me reach my fullest potential!

Comments

  1. Ciana, I think it's so awesome that you wrote about the perceptions of beauty in the media. That is something that I really struggled with when I was in high school, and have thought about a lot ever since. In WRTG 150 I actually did my research paper on the same topic-but more focused on how media and perceptions of beauty influence different mental disorders (like anorexia) in young girls. If you are interested, I can share my research with you as well.

    I strongly believe that media will need people like YOU who really care about the messages we are sending to women and girls, to make a difference. We need to make sure the messages that are sent into society empower women. If you haven't already, watch the "Dove Evolution" video, it is amazing!! There is also an amazing talk by Elder Holland titled, "To Young Women" that I absolutely love, and that covers this topic well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the topic you ended up writing about Ciana. I know it was a switch that probably was not welcomed at first, however I think it is a powerful topic because of it's affects on individuals all over!! Media is powerful and obviously all over, having great power to control and impact lives. We need to be mentally tough to understand what is true and what is not; we need to be able to judge ourselves kindly and correctly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts