What's a Paper Without an Audience?

Research Brainstorming Blog

At first, I wasn't even going to go with this topic, however, as I want to do something that mattered to me, this issue immediately came to my mind. After browsing articles, I have seen that this isn't only an issue that I see, but is being discussed world wide.

Why this topic: My mom is very against having her two daughters wear makeup at a really young age. As I have grown up, I realized the reliance some of my friends had on makeup. They would not even go out of their own house unless they had makeup, or made a lot of excuses like "I'm sorry I look so horrible today, I did not have time to get ready." On the other hand, because of my  moms restrictions, I confidently went out and about without makeup and continue to do so today. Not only have I saved money, but my self confidence, too.

Topic: I am studying how exposure to makeup at a young age for women affects their self-image and  confidence. 
Question: Because I want to find out how much of the self-confidence in women is based off of their use of makeup and how it has distorted their views of themselves. 
Significance: In order to help my reader understand the harmful effects of exposing young girls to makeup at an early age, I will show research alongside this viewpoint. 


My Audience is PRO-makeup exposure at a young age.


Who is your audience? Why do they find your claim initially unacceptable? My audience is females between the ages of 18-45. This is generally the age where women are independent and some of them starting families of their own. They have also generally developed their own hygienic habits and self-image ideals. They wear makeup every time they go outside their homes. They rely on makeup to make them feel beautiful. One quarter of them started using makeup at age 13.  They do not believe that wearing makeup has any negative effects on self-image and confidence levels of young women.

What does your audience value the most? Overall, my audience values themselves the most. They value their appearance, their confidence, and opinions of others the most. However, the link between these is the idea that they have to look a certain way in order to obtain these values.

What does your audience fear the most? They fear rejection and not being accepted. This also includes body image issues. Commonly, each person is their own biggest critic.

Audience counterarguments:
Women use makeup to empower themselves; they are not dependent. Women have the freedom to choose makeup and feel that it is a form of art and beauty. Makeup does not affect the way a woman views herself, let alone a young girl.


Comments

Popular Posts