Stories That Bind

The New York Times posted an article by Bruce Feiler called The Stories That Bind Us. 

"The bottom line: if you want a happier family, create, refine and retell the story of your family’s positive moments and your ability to bounce back from the difficult ones. That act alone may increase the odds that your family will thrive for many generations to come."

I thought this was a very interesting article. The family is definitely under attack by various sources, which is refreshing to know that other people are noticing this, too. I really liked how he focused on how to fix the problem instead of ranting that it is a problem.

Living with my aunt's family before getting married this semester has really helped me see the value in family dinners. It is the time to communicate as a whole in the midst of conflicting schedules. It unifies the family when so often we are all going our separate ways.

My family has a very rich and unique culture. I want my children to learn about their Taiwanese and South African heritage. There is a lot to learn. I am just grateful we have a way to lay the foundations for a happy family!

Comments

Popular Posts