Funny doesn't have to be about other people

Today in class we watched Ryan Hamilton's stand-up on Conan. One of the main themes of his stand-up was just poking fun at himself. This kind of humor for me is refreshing since a lot of the time, comedy is taken by making fun of other people or stereotypes.

Because his jokes are self-centered, he has made his audience everyone but himself. No class of people or ethnicity is under heat.

If people are laughing, then it means that he is persuasive. He has persuaded enough people to watch his material and laugh at his material. I feel like for a comedian that is what you aim for in your audience.

He makes it relatable to his audience since he is not targeting any demographic of people but himself. He is honest with his own shortcomings, many of which we all possess ourselves. In being able to joke about his own life, it enables us to find humor in our own challenges and shortcomings.

Overall, Ryan Hamilton definitely entertained me and persuaded me to laugh and watch his work.

Comments

  1. I love you commentary on this! Ryan's jokes are awesome because it's nice to not feel awkward about a joke about another gender/race AND I love that he doesn't have to make fun of others to get a laugh. That's something we should all be working on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it this as an interesting take on Ryan Hamiltons jokes. I totally agree with you that it is so much more funny because his jokes aren't directed at someone. This is the same thing that Ellen Degeneres does and she is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said. I have found that comedians are actually getting less funny as they all make fun of the same people. I think making fun of yourself and other people takes some creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny doesn't have to be about other people. I love that! It is important to be able to find humor in life, but far too often it comes at the expense of others. It doesn't have to be that way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great way of thinking about his comedy! I often don't find humor directed at oneself very funny, but I agree that it is better than doing it towards others.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts